Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Craigslist...don't be afraid!

A friend of mine said the other night that she is afraid to shop on Craigslist.  I have both bought and sold items on Craiglist and have met fabulous people.  People trying to make or get a deal...just like me.  We have all heard of "The Craigslist Murder" and unless you are selling massages in hotel rooms, that is unlikely to happen to you.  I did recently hear of man being shot multiple times selling his fiance's necklace.  He met some shady characters in a non-public area and then ran after them when they grabbed the necklace and took off.  Hence my rules for Craiglist transactions...

Rule #1 - It is best to meet in public, if the item allows.  If you must meet at your home or theirs, take someone with you.

Rule #2 - Don't meet them unless they are willing to give you a phone number.

Rule #3 - ALWAYS get a picture first.  There is NO reason for someone not to have a picture.  Doesn't everyone have a cell phone with a camera?

Rule #4 - never deal in anything except cash transactions. 




I have gotten some FABULOUS things from Craigslist ads.  Most recently I found my new bedroom chairs  from this previous post...upholstered swivel chairs that look BRAND NEW for $200 for the pair.  I don't know if you've price upholstered chairs lately but they run anywhere from $300-700 each.





These classy doors my dear husband installed were absolutely FREE.  They even came with the crystal door knobs. The free section is awesome and I check it daily.


My couch and loveseat were purchased from a Craigslist ad.  I did spend a little on new foam cushion inserts but it was still a third of the price I would've paid for them new.





And my coffee table.








My daughter's bedroom furniture came from a Craiglist ad...it was sort of a pickled color but it was cheap and I loved the curves and details.  I painted it white and it is now fabulous.  You can see my post about painting it here .



I have also sold MANY items via Craigslist and have never had a problem with anyone.  You are smart...just go with your gut.  If the person sounds shady, just say thanks for your time and go on to the next ad.

No comments:

Post a Comment